Tuesday, July 12, 2011

How do I deal with my boyfriend's strange relationship with his Father?

My boyfriend and I have been together 2 years, July 4th is our anniversary actually. We are both 25 years old. My boyfriend is highly educated but is very dependent on his father sometimes financially but mostly emotionally. For example: he recently failed an insurance licensing exam, instead of coming to me and talking to me (we live together) he ran to the phone and called his dad and talked to him for over an hour about it. Any time anything bad happens in his life he instantly runs to his dad for advice. I honestly dont think he can make any serious decisions on his own without his fathers input. His father also encourages this behavior, he will call/text me some mornings (especially if he knows my bf has an important appointment or meeting in the morning) and ask me if my bf is up and getting ready, like it is really his duty to wake him up every morning. I feel like my bf and I should be in a partnership and we should be able to navigate through our lives together ON OUR OWN without wondering what his dad thinks or wants. Right now it feels like he and his father are in the partnership and Im like second fiddle. We recently moved out of state from his family and mine (because of his job) and I thought it would make things better and his dad would back off a little. It really hasnt changed anything though. Im really frustrated at this point. I want to marry this man but I cant live the rest of my life playing second fiddle to his father. I have told him all this before but it doesnt really change. I just really dont know what to do and I need someone elses perspective on this situation. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment